We can't understand why our 8 year old is creating such a fuss when we told him we need to get on our coats and get into the car!
We don't see what our 10 year olds problem is to share her books with her younger sister!
We don't see why telling the kids its bedtime causes such an eruption of frustration!
What is the matter with these kids!
I read it a while ago, and as I read I wished I had read it when my eldest was a baby!
I like this book because it helps direct us as parents (from a secular point of view), giving example conversations around common situations we and our children find ourselves in:
.....from sibling rivalry to upset feelings, to getting the kids to just *listen*!
It isn't written in a "this is how it is" kind of manner, rather, throughout the book, it asks you to interact with it, answer questions and ponder upon your own typical reactions as a parent.
As you can see, it is a secular written book, so here is my disclaimer! ....
Obviously, not everything it contains will apply to us as Muslims. However, as a whole, I feel it offers a lot of practical solutions to many of our common every day complaints!
I wanted to re-read this book, with a bit more attention than the first time round, so I thought it would be fun to read along with some other mummy's, and together share some of the beneficial points to help support the application of some of the principles in our own real life situations.
I've created a closed group on Facebook where we can do just that inshallah! It is a "closed" group, which means that only members can view posts, and membership is only open to women. (so anyone not in the group, can not view anything anyone posts....its private)
We will begin 5th December 2016, so you have plenty of time to get the book ordered and delievered inshallah.
Each Monday, I’ll post a chapter summary and in the comments, is where we can interact with one another to discuss the chapter, share our “aha moments” and perhaps offer suggestions when someone needs an extra idea or two!
There are some basic rules for this to work bi'ithnillah.
- It is not necessary to follow every book selected. Some books might take your fancy, some won't.
- Try to read one chapter each week. (don’t worry if you can’t!)
- Use the appropriate chapter post relating to your comments.
- You are welcome to share your insights and benefits, discuss the chapter, or ask for advise relating to the content of that chapter.
- Please remember, if asking for advise in how to apply something we have read into your own situation / difficulty, be cautious not to backbite or share the secrets of your family. Try to keep things general and not overly specific.
- If posting anything from an Islamic Perspective, please ensure references are given and any quotes are from the Scholars of the Qur’an and Sunnah following the understanding of the Salaf as Salih.
- *Sisters* only.
- Admin reserves the right to remove any inappropriate content.
So please head on over to Facebook and join the club!